Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cake Decorating

Recently I was asked by Amanda, from i am baker and i am mommy, to share some pictures of cakes I decorated.

Last summer I took a cake decorating class at Michaels. It was four Tuesdays in June and we learned how to decorate cakes with roses, beach scenes, clowns, and different kinds of flowers and leaves. We took a cake each week to decorate in class.

In August, our family has a very busy birthday season. I made one or more cakes every week. I got to practice decorating cakes for my family, who didn’t care if I made a slight mistake. At the end of August, my friend and her father had a big joint birthday party and I was asked to do the cakes for the occasion. I was delighted to make the cakes but I knew that I was getting paid to do this and that it had better be perfect. Well, to make a long story short, I did the cakes, I was happy with them, I had a stressful car ride over to their house with the cakes on my lap in cake carriers cringing with every bump and turn in the road, and they LOVED them.

After the August birthday season, I took a break in making cakes. I was sick of eating so much cake. We made pies, cookies, and sweet breads for Sunday desserts for a while after that. For my birthday I made my own cake but I didn’t decorate it. I figured that pink decorators icing didn’t go with pumpkin layer cake. I enjoyed my cake after a break in eating it every day for a month. {Well, maybe I am exaggerating a little there. ;-)}

The first cake that I made at the cake decorating class...

Clown cake...

My first cake with roses...

I did the wiskers and mouth. Kristin made the cake and put on the eyes, nose, and ears...

A beach cake I made for Kristin's birthday...

On of the cakes I made for my friends...

The other cake I made for my friends...

Pink polka dot cake that I made for my grandmother...

I can only take credit for part of this one. Kristin made the cake and put the sprinkles on it. I wrote Benjamin's name...

3 comments:

Mary said...

Nice Job! Cakes look great! It sounds like you really enjoy making and decorating them. Pass me a fork please they all look yummy! :)

Sarah said...

You do such great work, Kati! Looks like it could be a lot of fun too. :)

Amanda said...

Love it girl!! You are very talented!!

Many blessings-
AMANDA