Tuesday, October 1, 2013

{31 Days of Pinterest Completed} Chocolate Coconut Bars

PIN INSPIRATION:

~

I love almost anything with coconut and chocolate in it, so when I needed something to take a pool party back in August, I chose these bars. They were loved by everyone who tried them!




Chocolate Coconut Bars



Ingredients:
3 cups graham cracker crumbs *
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup pecan pieces
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly splash a 15-by-10-inch rimmed baking sheet ** evenly with water, then line with parchment paper. 


2. In a large bowl, stir together cookie crumbs, sugar, and butter until combined. Evenly press onto bottom and up sides of prepared baking sheet. Bake, rotating halfway through, until firm, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool, about 20 minutes.

3. Sprinkle cooled crust evenly with pecans and chocolate. Pour condensed milk over the top, spreading to cover completely (do not let it drip over the edges). Sprinkle with coconut. 

4. Bake until coconut is toasted, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely. Trim edges, if desired, and cut into equal-size bars. 


I found I didn't have enough graham cracker crumbs so I made up the difference with oats. It added another flavor and also felt more healthy. :D
**I baked these in a glass baking dish instead of a cookie sheet but they turned out fine.


~ ~ ~

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, YUM!

AdenaF said...

Perfect timing!! I was cleaning out my pantry last night and realized that I had leftover graham crackers and if I didn't do something soon with them, they needed to be tossed out. (I made Graham Pralines recently and shared the recipe on my blog). We share a love for chocolate and coconut, Nikons and Jeremiah 29:11!! (even named my last son after that verse). I'm also following your Pinterest because I'm addicted that way. btw, your Pinterest envelope under your bio leads you back to this blog so you might want to correct it because I have a feeling your getting ready to get a lot more Pinterest followers. (sorry for typing a book here :)

Jerimi said...

Holy YUM!

Kim at Thistle Dew said...

Looks yummy, Kati! Can't wait to see all your creations!

Kristin said...

Wonder if this would work with all oats for the crust? I only have about a cup of graham crackers crumbs left in the box, but I always, always have oats in my pantry. The other problem would be finding someone to share these with since only Gavin and I like coconut in our house and there is no way we could (or should) eat a whole pan. :-)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Rachel is our pinterest queen around here!

This is a fun 31 days topic!

Deanna